How to understand this blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

cakes look good on my table

I bought a table and chairs!!! And they're sooooo pretty.


FIFTY DOLLARS. $50, off TradeMe, New Zealand's version of eBay. Not bad at all, in fact a veritable bargain, and our flat looks so amazing in comparison with what it was before. I can't share a photo with you but it was pretty dire - we had an oversized DESK that was held together with duct tape. You couldn't fit your knees under it because it had random bits of wood sticking down. We had cheap folding chairs, one of which broke underneath the weight of my flatmate's not-that-heavy father, and which all looked completely different.

The only problem was transporting said table/chairs to our flat. There are two cars among the five of us but neither of them have towbars and it's not like we want to pay some professional mover more than the table cost to move it for us. A very kind friend volunteered (hooray for facebook) and so I had a very good excuse to procrastibake!

Doesn't my berry and yoghurt crumble cake look lovely on my new table??


The original recipe is for a rhubarb and yoghurt crumble cake, by an amazing Kiwi cook called Annabel Langbein. I had to use a can of berries instead because there was no rhubarb in the supermarket or in the garden of Dad, my usual supplier.

I had a look online to see if Annabel Langbein has published the written version anywhere, but I could only find the video on youtube. So here's the written version. Hopefully I don't get sued!

Berry and yoghurt crumble cake

140g (5oz) softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
3/4C plain yoghurt
3 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
2 cups flour
190g (7oz) berries or 3 stalks of rhubarb, thinly sliced

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 T flour
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 t cinnamon
60g (2oz) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 180*C (350*F). Grease 25cm springform or loose-bottomed cake tin, line base with baking paper.
Beat butter and sugar together till creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, beat well. Beat in yoghurt then add dry ingredients and stir gently to just combine. Spread into prepared tin, place berries spread out on top.
Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over cake. Bake until golden, about 50-60 minutes. Stand 15 minutes before turning out. Allow to cool before cooking.

Yum yum! (Unfortunately I didn't get to taste it as it was for someone else, but I've had it before and it was yummo then!)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Very nice! I love the woodwork on the chairs.

I need a new dining room table and chairs desperately. I doubt I'll find a deal as good as yours though.