How to understand this blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

wellington cookies


Tomorrow, I am visiting our nation's capital, Wellington, for two nights. I'm presenting a paper at a conference there, something I still have trouble saying without feeling like an immature impostor.

My big brother used to live in Wellington when I was a girl, and I would go up to visit him and his wife, upon occasion. I remember, the first time I went up by myself, baking some peanut butter cookies which he really, really loved, and so the second time I went, I baked the same cookies.

Yesterday, I was thinking, 'hm, I really should do some baking to take up to Wellington with me so I don't go and buy junk food' - and without realising it, my mind leaped immediately to the peanut butter cookie recipe which I still have. Only just noticed this now, and so I am rechristening these cookies for all time : 'Going to Wellington cookies' they shall be.

It is a really yummy recipe and I fully recommend it:

150g self-raising flour (5 oz)
125g sugar (4 oz)
125g soft butter (4 oz)
125g crunchy peanut butter (4 oz)
125g brown sugar (4 oz)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F and lightly grease a baking tray or two.

Cream together in a large mixing bowl the butter and peanut butter until they are light and fluffy. Combine the sugar and the brown sugar, and add gradually to the butter mixture. Beat in the egg and the vanilla. Sift in the flour, mixing in well.

Flour your hands lightly and roll the dough into small balls. Place on the baking tray about 5cm apart, and flatten each ball with a fork. Bake for 10-12 minutes, and cool on a wire rack.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Yum. Peanut butter cookies are the best.

Presenting at a conference? Awesome. Go Allie!