How to understand this blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

feadóg

Today, an announcement.

I am currently obsessed with the Irish tin whistle.

(Otherwise known as the feadóg, a word I have not yet learnt to pronounce.)

Over the last month of writing my thesis, I started putting together a list of things I wanted to do once I finished. One of them was to learn the tin whistle properly and play in an Irish band.

Background: I bought a cheap tin whistle a few years ago when I was still playing the recorder a lot, but never really picked it up.

I didn't really intend to, but when I got home on the day I finished my thesis, I pulled out the whistle, googled myself some sheet music, enlisted my flatmate on the guitar and started playing the tin whistle.

I'm not fantastic. I've been trained for classical music on the recorder and so I don't have the right style, and I'm still getting used to some of the different fingerings... however... I am having SO MUCH FUN.

I have:

(a) found myself a fiddler - a friend from church who is a fantastic violinist and who is super keen to join in our sessions. All we need now is someone to play the bodhran, or some other kind of drum.

(b) spent far too much time on youtube looking up jigs and reels and then hunting down the sheet music on sites like this and this. Here are a couple of the songs I am determined to master:







As long as I can get other people to take it as seriously as I am, it's going to be awesome!!

And just to prove I can still laugh at myself:

2 comments:

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I haven't listened to the songs yet (being in a quiet public place), but that does sound awesome!! Good luck with it all!

Sarakastic said...

It's amazing that you are doing what you love, and also I didn't know feadóg was a word either but it's really preetty